Search This Blog

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Tis the Season!

(Que music) It's the most wonderful time of the year! Well, maybe not THE most wonderful, but, it is pretty darn awesome. It's date season!! When Ayman first brought these home from our local arabic market and told me they were dates and to try one, I was pretty sure he was trying to poison me or he really didn't understand the English word date. Think of my dear, sweet Ayman as an Egyptian Ricky Ricardo and I am definitely his Lucy. In case you were wondering,  yes, generally I have a lot of "splainin" to do. I once again threw caution to the wind and tried one. To my delight,  I was not only not poisoned but, I was actually enjoying this new found food that was not like any date I had ever known. In Egypt they are called"balah" which to me sounds exotic and fabulous. 

Dates are the fruit of the date palm which thrive in desserts around the world. The US crop hails from California and The Great State of Arizona (I'm biased and that's okay). These sweet little gems are harvested from September to March, so now is the time!  They are crunchy like an apple and have a nutty carmel like flavor and make an awesome snack or a fantastic addition to any cheese plate. You can most likely find them beginning in September,  in your local arabic market. So get out there and buy some, you won't regret it!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment