Search This Blog

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Whats Old Is New Again!

I know that I have made my love of old cookbooks, and all cookbooks for that matter, known.  I have made many trips in many cities to old, musty thrift stores and second hand book sellers in search of funky and fabulous old cookbooks.  I am thankful to have a family that totally supports me in my quest and always amazes and surprises me by feeding my habit and giving me new (old) cookbooks.  I really do have and awesome family, no joke.  Just a bit off topic, as a "get well soon" gift my dad just sent me a 1966 copy of Larousse Gastronomique and the first American edition to boot! So anyway, I truly share a love of cookbooks with others in my family, in particular my Aunt Melinda.  The woman has a killer collection of cookbooks, it really is an impressive collection and one that I aspire to.  On one trip to the bay area to see her she gave me the "Time-Life Foods of the World" series of books (she had two sets, now do you see?! It's genetic) they were printed in 1969 and are so ridiculously cool.  They are wire bound and the slightly yellowing pages are filled with recipes that you have not only never heard of but would also probably never, ever try.  The Scandinavian book is filled with recipes for pickled fish, not exactly my cup of tea, but cool none the less.  While flipping through The Cooking of India book one night (yes, I read cookbooks in bed like they are friggen mysteries) I stumbled upon a recipe for Nargesi Kofta (ground lamb meatballs filled with hard-cooked eggs) and thought to myself, this may be the grossest thing ever or the most awesome thing ever.  So, clearly, the next day I went out and purchased my groceries and made it and it was....AWESOME!  Over the last few years, I have adapted the recipe to be a little more user friendly and made it my own.  Today, I am really excited to share that recipe with you.  It may seem strange but it is completely wonderful and delicious!




Indian meatballs stuffed with egg
By: Vanessa Madigan


Ingredients:
For the meatballs:
1 lb finely ground beef or lamb
1 raw egg
6 hard boiled eggs
1/4 cup chick-pea flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
3 cups vegetable oil, for frying

For the tomato sauce:
1/2 cup olive oil
3 large yellow onions, very finely chopped
1 Tbs ground ginger
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 cup plain, unflavored yogurt
1 Tbs. garam masala
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp ground red pepper
1 tsp salt
1 28 oz can tomato puree
1 16 oz can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro (coriander)

Directions:
  • Mix your ground beef, raw egg, chick-pea flour, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp cumin in a bowl.  You will want to mix it well to ensure the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
  • Next you will divide your ground meat into 6 equally sized meatballs, once you have all 6 take the palm of your hand and flatten each one into a disc.
  • Place a hard boiled egg in the center of each disc and using your hands fold the meat around the egg so that it is completely encased in the meat.  You should now have somewhat egg shaped meatballs.
  • Pour the 3 cups of vegetable oil into a large skillet heat it to about 375 degrees. Deep fry your meatballs until they are a beautiful rich brown in color, this will be about 3 to 4 minutes on each side.  When each meatball is done, remove it from the oil and set it on a paper towel to drain.
  • Next you will make your tomato sauce.  In a large saute pan or deep skillet heat the 1/2 cup olive oil, add your very finely chopped onions and cook them until they are translucent.  Add the tomato puree to the olive oil and then the diced tomatoes. Stir the mixture well.
  • Add the ginger, garlic and yogurt to the tomato and onion sauce continually stirring to combine well. Finally, add the garam masala, tumeric, red pepper and the salt.  Simmer your mixture, stirring often for about 10 minutes.
  • Now, you will return your meatballs to the tomato sauce.  Sprinkle with the cilantro cover and cook over medium heat for and additional 5 to 10 minutes to ensure the meatballs are heated through.
  • Serve your meatballs covered in sauce and enjoy!  They go really great with fresh warm naan bread, just sayin!




Some of my old cookbooks!  This set is really wonderful, fun and inspiring.  Seriously, don't be afraid of funky old cookbooks, you might just learn something new!!

No comments:

Post a Comment