Search This Blog

Sunday, December 16, 2012

All Kidding..A Side!

 
Side dishes finish a meal and occasionally they can be the star!  Lately, Ayman and I have been eating a ton of vegetables, we are really trying to be as healthy as we can be.  We go on walks, which is much appreciated by our two perfectly wonderful but very athletic German Shepherds, we eat a mostly vegetarian diet and are drinking a stupid amount of water. Do I feel better? I guess. Do I miss the hell out of Filibertos carne asada burritos and Diet Coke? Oh my God, you have no friggen idea!  In order to keep meal time interesting and avoid getting stuck in the spinach salad rut, I bring home tons of vegetables from the store that I have no idea what to do with and then we, well, we just figure something out with what we have so that they don't rott away in the fridge.  I don't cook with Brussels sprouts on a regular basis, in fact, I think I have only made the once or twice in my 40 years.  Don't get me wrong, I like them, its not love for certain, but I do like them, I just don't ever make them.  Two pounds of these tiny cabbages made their way home with me the other day and I pushed them aside repeatedly until I realized that their time was coming to an end and I needed to use them now.  I put together the following recipe with 5 simple ingredients that we all have laying around.  It turned out fantastic and I will most certainly make it again!
 
 

Lemon Feta Brussels Sprouts
Written, developed and tested by: Vanessa Madigan



Ingredients:
2lb Brussels Sprouts
6 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 lemon, juice and zest
1/2 cup Feta cheese, crumbled
salt and pepper
 
Directions:
  • Clean your brussels sprouts and cut each one in half.
  • Heat your olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
  • Once your pan is hot, add the brussel sprouts to the pan and saute for about 15-20 minutes  until the outer part is a caramelized and has begun to brown. The brussels sprouts should be tender and a bit wilted
  • Once the brussels sprouts are cooked add the garlic and saute until translucent.
  • Next add the lemon juice, salt and pepper.
  • Top with the crumbled feta and lemon zest and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment