Search This Blog

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Amazing Grazing

I'm a grazer, it's just who I am.  Maybe, my love of appetizers stems from the time I spent in bars for the many years I lived in Vegas or memories of my grandfathers jalapeno dip, chips and salsa on our frequent dinners in old town, my favorite clam dip on Christmas day, or my Mom's hummus on hot summer San Diego afternoons while we listened to the soundtrack from Laurence of Arabia.   I adore finger foods and I adore the whole ritual of sitting around with those you love, sharing the same food, enjoying small plates with so many big and different flavors talking, laughing and relaxing.  That is what grazing is to me and I will find any excuse to make small bites and share them with others.  The other day, I was in just such a mood.  I already had the fixins' for an amazing salsa and some great local tortilla chips, but, I needed something else.  I headed to the fridge to see what I could whip together and I found all of the ingredients I needed for a new twist on an old favorite jalapeno poppers.  They came out great, which is more than I can say for the photos.  This super easy recipe is great for movie night, parties or whenever! 


Jalapeno Popper Pockets
By: Vanessa Madigan




Ingredients:
8 oz. cream cheese at room temperature
16 oz. bacon, cooked until crisp and chopped
1/4 cup sharp cheddar, finely grated
3 green onion, chopped
3 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
3 tbs butter, melted
1 package phyllo dough, thawed


Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Combine bacon, jalapeno, cream cheese, green onion and cheddar cheese in  a small mixing bowl, stir until thoroughly mixed and ingredients are dispersed evenly throughout.
  • Take one sheet of phyllo and set it on your work surface and using a pastry brush coat with a layer of your melted butter.  Place another sheet directly on top of the first and again coat with the melted butter, repeat this one more time so that there are three layers of phyllo.
  • Repeat the abouve process to make one more three layer sheet.
  • Using a sharp knife, cut three equal sections vertically and one horizontally across the middle, to make 6 equal squares on each of your two phyllo sheets.
  • Spoon about two tablespoons of your cream cheese mixture into the center of each square.
  • To fold, bring each horizonatl end to the center and then each vertical end to the center. Flip over and place on a baking sheet.
  • Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment