Search This Blog

Monday, June 4, 2012

The Best Sister Best Of...Hot Sauce!

As some of you know I have spent many years working for two culinary retail giants, Williams-Sonoma and Sur la Table. This, I feel, has qualified me as a shopping guru when it comes to all things culinary and ONLY all things culinary. As far as fashion goes, well, it really is blind luck if I put something together that looks at all hip or trendy and the last expensive bag I bought was about...hmm, 6 years ago. That said, when it comes to buying the latest kitchen accoutrements I am ahead of the game, definitely a trend setter.  My kitchen and pantry are fully stocked with the latest gadgets, staples, tools and necessities. I have immersion blenders, gourmet sauces, strawberry hullers, the latest celebrity chef endorsed cupcake mix, olive pitters, garlic peelers, the list goes on and on. Maybe this is the reason, I cant afford to be fashionable, I have spent all of my dough on kitchen fabulousness. The best part is, is that I use them all! I have spent time researching them and finding practical uses for the at home kitchen and I would love to share some of my thoughts, opinions and discoveries with you!


This week, I would love to  cover something very near and dear to me, Hot Sauce. As you can tell by most of my recipes, I like it hot.  As they say Mo Hotter, Mo Better! Well, at least I think they say that. Oh well, anyway, I had the pleasure of being in New Orleans last week and visited a shop that specialized in the liquid gold.  I filled my bag, taking more than advantage of the buy 5 get 1 free sale and tasted just about everything in the shop.  I definitely came away with some new favorites and still hold my old standards near and dear to my heart.


Just a few of our current household favorites!



Just a few recommendations:
If you like HOT:
  • My new favorite for exceptionally hot is one of my recent purchases, it is made with Ghost Peppers, Red Peppers, Chile Extract and a touch of vinegar.  It is not a super vinegar based sauce, it is all about flavorful heat.  This sauce isn't for the faint of heart and is probably the hottest sauce I have ever had, but the flavor is wonderful.  It is the perfect sauce to add to your next pot of chili, but just a dash. The Hottest Sauce In The Universe (yes, that is the name) available through www.pepperpalace.com  $14.95 for 1.77 oz.

For medium heat:
If you like a medium heat, well rounded flavor I have a couple of suggestions. 
  •  First, is Bad to the Bones Hot Sauce also available through www.pepperpalace.com for $6.95 for 5 oz.  It is a Cayenne and Habenero blend and is full of flavor.  I would use this on just about everything from fried chicken to red beans and rice and even add it to dips for snacking.  It has a bit of vinegar and sweetness to the heat.
  •  Second, is a tie between Good old Tabasco and Crystal.  Both of these sauces are Louisiana staples and I quite literally use them both on a daily basis.  I use them on pizza, fish, french fries, you name it I will add one of these two.  Crystal has a thicker consistency and a depth of flavor that the Tabasco does not, HOWEVER, Tabasco has that tangy spice that can be matched by no other.  Which ever you choose, you cant go wrong. Just a side note, we buy our Tabasco at Costco and Sam's Club, because we literally use it every single day.  Sick, I know.  Crystal and Tabasco are both available at all major grocery outlets.

For mild heat:
  • Candy Ass Hot Sauce available at www.asskickin.com for $3.95 is made with serrano chiles and will satisfy the people in your home with a more delicate palate. You get the full serrano flavor without most of the heat. 
  • Well, back to my old stand by, my true love once again, Tabasco.  But, this time I would recommend Tabasco Green Jalepeno Pepper Sauce. Again, you can buy it at any major grocer and it is fabulous.   It has a distinct, fresh flavor that you are sure to love. Add it you your guacamole, it really does make it just a little more fabulous!

Although, there are thousands of additional brands out there, all with unique and fabulous flavors, these are the few that I am currently using and enjoying.  I look forward to trying more in the future and sharing them with you!
Written by: Vanessa Madigan

Peppers and Onions with Hot Sauce
Written, Developed and Finalized by: Vanessa Madigan

Here is a quick recipe using your favorite hot sauce.  I have found that I love it with a vinegar based hot sauce like Tabasco, but, feel free to use the hot sauce of your choice!  It is a great side dish or served with yummy andouille sausage.


 
Ingredients:
1 yellow bell pepper
2 red bell peppers
1 orange bell pepper
1 anaheim chile
1 medium yellow onion
3 tablespoons hot sauce
1 tsp salt
3 tbs butter

Directions:
  • In a medium sized dutch oven melt the 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
  • Slice your bell peppers, anaheim chile and onion and add to the melted butter and hot pan, allow onion to caramelize slightly.  Stir occasionally.
  • Add salt and hot sauce to the pan, reduce heat to medium low and cover for 30 to 40 minutes.  The peppers should absorb a lot of the hot sauce flavors and be tender.
  • Serve as a side dish or with sausage!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment